They've got groovy, wiggly tails. They've got horns on their heads.



Thursday, April 5, 2012

Hedy Lamarr


Born in Vienna in 1913 of well-placed Jewish parents, young beauty Hedwig Eva Maria Kiesler studied piano and ballet before becoming a film sensation in Germany. In 1933, she starred in the controversial film “Ecstasy”, notorious for including scenes of her with full frontal nudity as well as a much-talked about close-up of her exquisite face during orgasm (though she always maintained it was “method acting”…)

On the eve of WWII, young Hedwig fled to Paris, and then London, where she met Louis B. Mayer. The movie mogul changed her name to Hedy Lamarr, and the rest was the most glamorous of Hollywood history.

In films like “White Cargo”, “Boom Town”, “Algiers”, and “Ziegfeld Girl”, Hedy Lamarr lit up screens with her intense presence, a unique combination of smoldering dark sex appeal and a sort of fragile tenderness. Probably her most famous role was as the ultimate bad girl, Delilah, in Cecil B. DeMille’s “Samson and Delilah”—after that, it was an unexpected turn to comedy along with Bob Hope in “My Favorite Spy”.

Much has been made of Hedy Lamarr’s open life of sexuality—she apparently had a very healthy sexual appetite that she pursued with many men and even some women- but most of those rumors are unsubstantiated.

Either way, and despite a troubled later life, Hedy Lamarr was a Hollywood starlet who went her own way, an individualist who paid only the slightest of attentions to the standards of her time. And she was without question one of the most beautiful women in the history of film.

10 comments:

  1. She was beautiful. I love this blog. I can think of so many beautiful women from the past. They seemed to have this beauty with sharp edges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for saying so, Michelle. I really appreciate you stopping in.

      Delete
    2. Glad to see this blog is still going! Very good. Phil

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Phil! I know it's sporadic; I'll try to pay better attention to it in future.

      Delete
  2. She was also a very smart cookie and the co-inventer of radio frequency-hopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shay, thanks for mentioning that. I wanted to, but limited space and all. The thing most of the women at this blog have in common (aside from stunning beauty) is remarkable intelligence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fіrst off I would like to ѕaу аwesome
    blog! I haԁ a quicκ questіon which I'd like to ask if you don't mind.
    I ωas curious tο know how you center yourѕelf and сleaг
    your thоughts prіοг to writing.
    I've had trouble clearing my thoughts in getting my thoughts out. I do enjoy writing however it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are usually wasted just trying to figure out how to begin. Any ideas or tips? Many thanks!

    Look at my weblog http://www.sfgate.com/business/prweb/article/V2-Cigs-Review-Authentic-Smoking-Experience-or-4075176.php
    Also see my site: Www.Sfgate.Com

    ReplyDelete
  5. І just couldn't go away your web site before suggesting that I actually loved the usual information an individual provide to your guests? Is going to be again continuously to check up on new posts

    my web-site - http://www.prweb.com/releases/silkn/sensepilreview/prweb10193901.htm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you haνe any viԁеo of thаt?
    I'd care to find out more details.

    my site :: V2 Cig Review
    Also see my page :: Full Survey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ӏ don't even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good. I do not know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you aren't alгeady ;) Chеers!


    My web-site ... Http://Wmedial.com/article/article.Php?id=7797

    ReplyDelete